Raytheon Technologies Principal Investigator - Analytics and Machine Intelligence in Cambridge, Massachusetts
Are you an experienced, passionate pioneer in technology, with versatile leadership qualities and enthusiasm to tackle new and difficult problems? If so, then Raytheon BBN is the place for you.
For more than 70 years, scientists and engineers in diverse disciplines at Raytheon BBN have collaborated to solve real-world problems through research, exploration, development and prototyping. We partner with the best technical talent in academia and industry to challenge the status quo, pioneer new technologies, and create transformative solutions.
We are seeking an AI researcher with leadership and entrepreneurial experience, who prides themselves on their ingenuity, creativity, and resourcefulness to build a “next wave” innovative artificial intelligence (AI) research focus within our Analytics and Machine Intelligence group at BBN. The ideal candidate will have machine learning expertise as well as broad interdisciplinary knowledge. This will lead to leveraging existing technologies in our portfolio such as human language technologies and image processing capabilities into new domains and applications. The selected candidate will develop, propose, and carry out new research as a Principal Investigator on programs for the Defense Sector and the Intelligence Community.
Successful candidates must be able to manage business development and program execution activities effectively. All qualified candidates need to have a strong publication record, experience writing and winning proposals, experience successfully executing projects, an ability to lead small teams, and a passion for their work that motivates others to pursue the same goals. A history of working on DARPA and/or IARPA programs is important, especially as it relates to understanding those organizations’ goals and building relationships with program managers and other performers in the field. Success in this position will depend on your energy, creativity, and success in both scientific and personal relationship capacities.
You will have the ability to apply your research to diverse domains including synthetic biology, quantum computing, networking, RF systems, Natural Language Processing, etc. We seek applicants who are eager and enthusiastic to expand their research fields into these areas and others.
What you will do
• Lead cross-functional teams performing both business development and program execution activities.
• Lead scientific development in basic research and applied research programs focusing on machine learning or other approaches to machine intelligence
• Reach out to government program managers to help shape their research efforts and receive feedback on potential solutions
• Provide authoritative technical expertise, advice and guidance to executive leadership, senior-level management and technical experts to develop, tailor, and apply advanced technologies in AI/ML for government defense and intelligence systems or the commercial sector
• Initiate new studies, research efforts and programs to apply the technologies of the department to operational needs
• Grow a successful team of collaborators and implementers
• Collaborate with distinguished researchers within the research community in academia and industry to publish papers
What you will gain
• Opportunities to work on cutting-edge research, prototype, development and transition
• Exposure to world class researchers and engineers that embrace innovation and challenge the status quo
• Establishment and/or growth of a reputation as a leader in your field
• Autonomy to pursue a research vision of your choosing, with resources to help fulfill that vision
What you need
• Requires an advanced technical degree, PhD preferred, plus a minimum of 8 years of experience leading R&D teams.
• Must be eligible to obtain a security clearance. Except in rare circumstances, only U.S. citizens are eligible for a security clearance.
• Must have technical depth, practical experience and contacts in the AI field
• Demonstrated success influencing others, advancing new concepts, writing winning proposals and executing on CRAD projects.
• Strong record of publications and invention disclosures/patents.
• Excellent mentor, coach and educator as required to develop staff AI capabilities.
• Position may require some amount of overnight travel
Raytheon BBN is proud to offer a comprehensive total compensation package including a competitive 401k company match, a Retirement Contribution plan, performance-based incentive, and competitive benefits package. In addition to protecting your and your family’s health and well-being, we also offer important financial and family friendly benefits to meet your needs.
Our Work/Life benefits include – Paid Parental Leave – Adoption Assistance – Auto and Home Insurance – Child/Elder Back Up Care – College Coach – Retirement Planning Services – Flexible Work Arrangements - Legal Services – LifeResources – Employee Discount Program – Educational Assistance – Transportation Benefits – and Wellness Reward.
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.