Raytheon Technologies RF/EO Space Payload Chief Engineer in El Segundo, California
In this position, the candidate will be accountable for the technical execution of the Payload element and for supporting a cost-effective system solution. This senior technical position requires a top performer with space systems engineering, RF systems, and EO/IR payload domain knowledge. It also requires the ability to work in a multi-disciplined, cross functional team in the execution of program goals. This role will require regular engagement with the customer as well as with internal Engineering teams, and active participation in customer and program technical reviews. The Payload Chief Engineer will serve as the key technical interface to the Mission Chief Engineer to determine the technical solution to their requirements. The candidate also plans, organizes, and leads technical reviews, supports the day-to-day operations, provides suggestions for technical decisions and designs, and interfaces directly with the Mission Chief Engineer and Program Manager. The candidate will be responsible for meeting all payload technical requirements on the program.
Responsibilities of the Payload Chief Engineer include:
• Provide technical leadership and coordination on space payload development in both RF and EO domains.
• Develop and implement the technical vision and strategies of the payload development.
• Develop and implement payload integration activities.
• Lead payload readiness and design reviews.
• Coordinate closely with the Program Manager and Mission Chief Engineer regarding budget and schedule.
• Provide engineering program execution and technical leadership, including on proposal development.
• Provide engineering inputs to gates and independent reviews.
• Establish and maintain the payload technical baseline, ensuring the product meets contractual needs, and establish technical baseline artifacts.
• Provide technical support in developing and maintaining the analysis to predict and verify overall payload performance.
• Provide engineering authority to all decisions impacting payload product integrity, performance, and functionality.
• Coordinate, write, and deliver technical presentations to both internal and external customers.
• Mentor more junior engineers.
Bachelor’s degree in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Math) plus a minimum of 10 years prior relevant experience
Ability to obtain and maintain up to a TS/SCI clearance
Systems Engineering: Requirements Analysis, Derivation, Validation, and Verification
Systems Engineering: Internal and External Interface negotiation and management
Familiarity with Earned Value Analysis
Experience with Optical Payload Design
Highly Desired Skills/Experience:
Current Active and In-Scope Security Clearance
Advanced degree in a Science or Engineering Discipline
Demonstrated ability to clearly communicate technical issues and impacts to a non-technical audience through both verbal and written communications
Experience with leading interdisciplinary teams
Experience with managing COTS vendors
Experience in the full life cycle development of an EO Payload
Experience with EO payload AI&T Operations
Experience as a Cost Account Manager (CAM)
Risk and Opportunity Management
Demonstrated Proactive and Collaborative approach to identifying, preventing, mitigating, and solving issues and anomalies
Comfortable in a fast-paced environment
Experience in a Program Office with Regular and Meaningful Customer Interaction
Experience with Bid and Proposal Work
This position requiresa U.S. Person who is eligible to obtain any required Export Authorization.173748
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.