Raytheon Technologies Principle Electrical Engineer - Embedded in Indianapolis, Indiana
The Principal Electrical Engineer will possess expert level knowledge in FPGA design and be able to immediately contribute materially to development efforts, institute best practices and processes, and serve as a mentor/trainer for other members of the team. The successful candidate's daily duties will involve developing FPGA designs for all major vendors and device families including: Xilinx, Altera, Lattice, and Microsemi. Designs will be implemented using VHDL for a range of applications including: serial interfaces, Radio Frequency (RF) and Video DSP, controls, data links, embedded processing and processor interfaces. In addition, this position requires: working with circuit card designers and systems engineers to develop requirements, architecting new systems, modeling algorithms, code development, performing simulations and place and route, and design verification against requirements using both directed test and constrained random methodologies. Design support is expected from requirements definition through integration and test. Design documentation and configuration management are required.
U.S. Citizenship status is required, as this position will need a U.S. Security Clearance within 1 year of start date.
A minimum of six (8) years of experience with digital design and VHDL coding. Must have experience/expertise with:
• Incremental FPGA design practices to include logic fencing, floor planning approaches, incremental layout techniques, physical placement constraints and compile point synthesis attributes.
• Selecting, simulating, integrating and verifying complex Intellectual Property (IP) cores and interfacing such IP cores with application-specific digital logic.
• Performing and implementing constrained random verification in Uniform Verification Methodology (UVM) using System Verilog.
• Using verification packages such as Mentor Graphics' Uniform Verification Methodology Framework (UVMF) or similar.
• Using emulation platforms, such as Veloce, for design verification.
• Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA) and Fault Tree Analysis (FTA).
• Delivering FPGA solutions to system level applications.
• Hands-on integration and debug.
In addition, must have experience/expertise with 8 or more year of the following areas:
• FPGA vendors and device families suitable for radiation-hard and/or radiation-tolerant designs and appropriate tool flows.
• FPGA design techniques to reduce or eliminate Single Event Effects (SEEs).
• Triple Modular Redundancy (TMR) techniques through custom FPGA Register Transfer Level (RTL) and/or synthesis directives.
• Safe hardware design practices specific to FPGAs, including safe encoded Finite State Machines (FSMs).
• Concurrent error detection, hamming code, parity code, and Built-In Self-Test (BIST) techniques.
• Verification and Validation (V&V) of radiation-hard and/or radiation-tolerant FPGA designs, including simulation and/or emulation.
• Design for natural space radiation environment in LEO, MEO and/or GEO orbits.
• Design for man-made or hostile end atmospheric and/or exoatmospheric radiation environments including electromagnetic pulse.
• MIL-STD-1809, Space Environment for USAF Space Vehicles, requirements
• MS or Ph.D. in Electrical or Computer Engineering
• Expertise in radar processing techniques.
• Expertise in image processing techniques for visual and infrared sensors.
• Expertise in embedded systems design using ARM, Microblaze, or Nios processors.
• Expertise in gigabit serial interfaces and multi-gigabit transceivers (MGTs).
• Knowledge of C programming and scripting languages such as Perl or Python.
• Experience modeling algorithms and applying fixed-point analysis and conversion of floating point algorithms.
• FPGA design experience using a Linux based development environment.
• Past experience in a leadership role such as team lead, technical lead, project lead, etc.
• Past experience estimating design work, developing schedules, and tracking progress against budget and schedule for FPGA designs.
• Highly motivated, high performers with a thorough desire to learn and contribute in a fast-paced team environment.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to perform work without appreciable direction.
• Existing/active Department of Defense Secret clearance Preferred.
Requires a degree in Electrical Engineering or related Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM) field and 8+ years of related work experience. Master’s degree preferred.
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.