Raytheon Technologies New College Graduate: Systems Engineer II in Riverdale, Maryland
Raytheon Technology's NOAA EPIC Program is seeking a Systems Engineer to work in a dynamic Agile development environment for modernizing science-driven applications to operate on cloud platforms. EPIC provides acceleration of community-developed scientific and technological enhancements into the operational applications for Numerical Weather Prediction (NWP) and improved Research to Operations (R2O). As a member of the Raytheon EPIC team, you will ensure adherence to operational agreements and polices (including response times), compliance to program and NOAA standards and requirements (including Section 508 compliance), leveraging of industry best practices for automation and scalability of assets, and implementation of issue detection and alerts.
Key responsibilities for the qualified candidate include :
1) Surveying developers for insights into effective debugging activities and choosing how to incorporate those practices in a distributed, virtual environment.
2) Surveying PMs for internal and grant-funded integration activities to understand the state of model coupling and integration, providing insight into initial Research-to-Operations (R2O) priorities and distinct needs for each component of an Earth Modeling System.
3) Surveying teams of scientists focused on reforecast, reanalysis, and retrospective activities, to understand community use models outside of baseline evolution.
4) Assessing the Earth Modeling System’s existing web portal as the communications platform, offering recommendations and capability enhancements.
5) Assessing community-based and operational workflows running in cloud environments, along with porting activity of all cloud environments, to help stakeholders choose which cloud environments make the most sense for a budget-conscious community.
This position requires access to export-controlled Technical Information, hardware, software, and/or services that is restricted to U.S. Citizens.
In-depth knowledge of the Development Lifecycle, such as Requirements, Design, and Testing, in on n-tier client/server applications.
Knowledge of application hosting within a Commercial Infrastructure as a Service (IAAS) or Platform as Service (PAAS) environment.
Scripting experience with at least 1 programming language, such as Python, C++, Java, Scala, and/or Go.
Experience and/or knowledge of working within an Agile development framework (i.e. Scrum, XP, SAFe).
Experience and/or knowledge of automated application runtimes with infrastructure code (i.e. Chef, Ansible, Terraform).
Experience and/or knowledge of conducting Analysis of Alternatives (AoA)/ Trade Studies.
Experience and/or knowledge of conducting and preparing Cost-Benefit Analysis (CBAs).
Ability to communicate technical information to organization and the scientific community, verbally and in writing.
Experience running compute, network, storage, data, and/or monitoring services service from AWS, Azure, and/or GCP.
ABET is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA (Please upload an unofficial transcript when applying).
Must have a MS / MA with a major in Systems, Industrial, or Electrical Engineering, or other related field by Summer 2021. 180076
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.