Raytheon Technologies Agile Release Train Sr Principal Software Engineer in Tucson, Arizona
The Agile Release Train Engineer (RTE) is a leadership position responsible for steering the various engineering teams on the program and driving continuous improvement in Scaled Agile and DevSecOps practices for the combined systems/software/test Agile Release Trains. The RTE is the facilitator of program-level process, execution, metrics and tools as they pertain to Agile Product Development, recommending and implementing best practices as warranted by program execution situations, and acts as a Scrum Master for a Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe). The RTE works directly with Integrated Product Team (IPT) leads, Product Owners and Scrum Masters, and functional support personnel to lead day to day technical execution and drive continuous improvement. The RTE must have software development expertise and a strong understanding of scaling Lean and Agile in order to continuously maintain alignment of a large development program. Together with the Office of the Chief Engineer and Product Owners, the RTE manages and ensures that program technical execution delivers value iteratively and incrementally. The RTE escalates impediments, coaches leaders and teams, and participates in Lean-Agile transformation by standardizing and documenting practices.
Responsibilities to Anticipate:
• Manage and optimize the flow of value through the program using various tools, such as the Program and Value Stream Kanbans and information radiators
• Create/maintain an environment that supports positive team health
• Assess and drive continuous improvement to the agility level of the program
• Utilize agile software development methods, automation, and continuous integration.
• Encourage continuous integration and communities of practice around scaling Agile and Lean , and Engineering and Quality Practices
• Coach and educate Leaders, teams, and Scrum Masters in Lean-Agile practices and mindsets
• Drive consistent collaboration between teams, engineering, and system architects
• Work with product management, Product Owners and other stakeholders to help ensure strategy and execution alignment
• Responsible for effective incremental Program Planning execution including ensuring planning readiness via fostering the preparation of Vision and work item backlogs
• Aggregate the Team Program Increment objectives into Program Objectives and publish them for visibility and transparency
• Create retrospective improvement roadmaps by analyzing all activities and actions that have previously been performed and finding ways to improve each process.
• Measure and track program performance execution and Capability completion tracking
• Facilitate dependency resolution and help manage early risk identification and remediation
• Report status to Program management and release management
Qualifications You Must Have:
• Bachelor’s in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM) (Preferred Degrees: Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science or other related degree. ABET is preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.)
• A minimum of ten (10) years of professional experience in a related engineering field or engineering program management
• Education/Experience developing, testing and/or integrating real-time software
• Strong technical aptitude and experience leading teams in delivering quality systems or large scale systems involving hardware and software
• Experience applying Lean Thinking and Systems Thinking in large organizations
• Experience working in an Agile organization using Lean, Scrum, XP, Kanban, Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe), or other scaling model
• Prior experience as a Release Train Engineer, Value Stream Engineer, Scrum Master, Product Owner, Project or Program Manager
• Scaled Agile certification (eg. SAFe SPC) or other equivalent certifications
• Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. security clearance prior to the start date.
Qualifications We Value:
• Risk and Opportunity leadership experience
• Experience with Earned Value, Agile EV preferred
• Experience working in a multi-disciplined product development team/environment.
• Demonstrated mastery of Agile work item tools such as Rational Team Concert, VersionOne, Jira
• Experience working in a DoD embedded software environment
• Servant-leader and communicator with strong interpersonal skills
• Understand and articulate the difference between “being Agile” and “doing Agile”
• Ability to independently complete complex assignments and develop creative cross team area solutions
• Ability to effectively interact with senior levels of leadership effectively – including program teammates, primes, and suppliers
This position is located in Tucson, AZ. Surrounded by beautiful mountains, colorful Sonoran Desert landscape and majestic saguaro cacti, Tucson is blessed with some of nature’s best work. Tucson is known for its bright blue skies, and with more than 310 sunny days per year, our fantastic weather lets residents enjoy the outdoors year-round.
Clearance Information: This position requires the eligibility to obtain a security clearance. Non-US citizens may not be eligible to obtain a security clearance. The Defense Industrial Security Clearance Office (DISCO), an agency of the Department of Defense, handles and adjudicates the security clearance process. More information about Security Clearances can be found on the US Department of State government website here: https://www.state.gov/m/ds/clearances/c10978.htm
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.