Raytheon Technologies Sr. Mechanical Engineer- Hypersonic Structures and Design in Tucson, Arizona
At Raytheon Missiles & Defense, by combining our vast resources and investments we are able to dedicate ourselves to solving mission-level vs. product-level customer challenges – together we can anticipate more, move faster and make a bigger impact on the big picture.
Are you a Sr. Mechanical Engineer who’s ready to take on an exciting role to help defend our nation? Are you ready for the challenge of designing developing, and building advanced high speed airframes?
The Mechanical Products Team (MPT) is seeking a Sr. Mechanical Engineer in Hypersonic Structures Engineering and Design, responsible for mechanical engineering design of Ultra High Temperature (UHT) structures and Thermal Protection Systems (TPS). MPT uses state-of the-art tools, processes, technology, and Six Sigma standards. MPT’s capabilities encompass a broad range of technical disciplines which include engineering, manufacturing, technical services, materials, processes, analysis, test and documentation
This position will focus on design, test, fabrication, integration and testing of advanced high speed airframes. UHT structures include ceramic composite materials, such as carbon-carbon, and refractory metals. As a Mechanical Engineer II, you will be expected to work under Subject Matter Expert (SME) guidance, utilizing experiences to design and develop new types of airframe assemblies that can survive in unique and extreme environments, often pushing the limits of material systems.
An advanced degree can be substituted for additional years of experience as follows: Master’s is equal to 2 years of experience or a Ph.D. is equal to 4 years of experience. This position can be filled as a Sr. Mechanical Engineer II or Principle Mechanical Engineer based on the candidate's qualifications as they relate to the skills, experience and responsibility requirements for the position.
Responsibilities to Anticipate:
• Derivation of conceptual design with limited requirements. The candidate will work closely with members from other engineering disciplines; aerodynamics, systems, materials science and guidance, navigation, & control.
• Design high temperature structures and assemblies, prone to failure because of extreme temperatures
• Design cold structures utilizing TPS, prone to failure because of extreme temperatures.
• Perform design trade studies
• Communicate technical designs, data, and trade studies to senior leadership and customers
• Responsible Engineering Authority (REA) to suppliers, able to inform design and tailor it to suite manufacturing capability.
• Design for weight optimized primary and secondary airframe structures
• Emphasis on design for manufacturing and assembly
Qualifications You Must Have:
• Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or other applicable engineering degree
• 6+ years of experience in mechanical engineering design environment
• 4+ year of experience using CAD for design
• 2+ years of experience in aerospace, mechanical, or equivalent engineering environment, demonstrating systems engineering design or development
• Demonstrated familiarity of design with Ultra High Temperature materials
• 1+ years of experience with mass properties management
This position requires the eligibility to obtain a security clearance within 1 year of start date. Except in rare circumstances, only U.S. citizens are eligible for a security clearance
Qualifications We Value:
• Master’s degree in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering
• 8+ years of experience in mechanical engineering design environment
• Experience working in pre-design and conceptual phases of design
• Excellent communication skills; both verbal and written
• Experience with harness and interconnect design or manufacturing
• Security Clearance: Existing DoD Secret clearance preferred
What We Offer: Whether you’re just starting out on your career journey or are an experienced professional, we offer a robust total rewards package that goes above and beyond with compensation; healthcare, wellness, retirement and work/life benefits; career development and recognition programs. Some of the superior benefits on offer include parental (including paternal) leave, flexible work schedules, achievement awards, educational assistance and child/adult backup care
Tucson, AZ - https://jobs.raytheonmissilesanddefense.com/living-in-tucson
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.